Friday, August 2, 2013

Some thoughts and points to date:

31/07/2013



-Considering I'm here in the "dry" season which is as close to winter as it gets here, it is really warm. I have not needed to put on any "warming" clothes since I got here and I'm normally a guy that can go through NZ summer in long pants, shoes and a jacket in the morning, so I'm nearly always "cold" -except here in Samoa.
-Poverty has a very strong presence here, people have little and one can tell this at a glance at the people around the streets of Apia. (Interestingly, the place is not too "dirty" little bit dusty yes, maybe some litter here and there, but you DO NOT see people spitting or urinating in the streets like you might in South Africa)
-The Police and Traffic Police has a very strong presence, during one day in Apia town centre I think I saw more Cops than dogs... and I've already explained how many dog are around.
-I have not swam yet, yes.. with this beautiful warm tropical water and sweltering heat outside I did not have a swim yet. The reason for this is so far I've had my backpack with me, this containing my laptop, camera, wallet, passport and some food and water. So leaving my backpack on the side by itself while swimming is just plain scary. I hope I can overcome this "problem" soon. (I already have some ideas).
-I notice families here are very "close" and stick together. Not only immediate family, but also aunts, cousins, uncles and so on and so on, and also that daughters in particular stay with they parents until they are married.
-People here find it near impossible to guess my age, and when I do tell them they think that I'm not serious with my answer

No comments:

Post a Comment