Tuesday, August 6, 2013

New People.

02/08/2013



Today started special right from the start. Not only did I over sleep and missed my lift to town, I got a body that's hurting like it's been beaten with a bicycle seat. To top it all off, I did not get time to gently wake up and ponder the start if life before getting up...
I jumped up in startle from an earthquake... an actual earthquake... For a moment I was wondering if I had enough time to get out the back of the building before the building meets the valley below, but it stopped just as abruptly as it started.

Naturally I was pretty awake now, sore body or not. I walked off to the balcony to look at Apia in the distance by the coast, wondering if there were an impending tsunami and whether anyone down there would have any chance... Luckily nothing happened.(I later heard the only effect on Apia was that the schools all closed early after the earthquake and there were many happy children celebrating their early weekend.)

I did end up making to town via another slightly later lift than the intended one, so it all worked out just fine. (here they call in still "in time", Samoan time that is... as far as I understand Samoan time is like normal time, but + or - 1 hour)

Today I also met the free spirited Japanese lady I was told about on my second day here. Her name is Sayaka or in short "Saya" and she's been on and off Samoa for the last 6 years.

I only briefly got introduced as she was actually busy hosting and sending off a small group she was showing around, but I got a good feeling and could feel the "free spirit" vibes emanating from her.

I was thinking "I'd like to talk to her more", just not sure how to go about it without looking like a freak. Towards the end of the night when her "guests had left I braved up and made some conversation, only to find out she's leaving again early the next morning to go to Manono Island (a small coastal island between the two Samoan main islands). I'm still not sure how exactly it happened, (maybe I was scared she'd disappear from my grasp), but out of the blue I asked her whether I can go to Manono with her. Luckily for me she did not think I'm a plain weirdo and invited me to join her and her friends.

Tomorrow morning we're driving off to the Northern end of the island to get the boat to the island, I hope it will not be an awkward trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment