Saturday, August 10, 2013

Samoan Bus ride...

08/08/2013


Wow, so this morning I got up very early after virtually no sleep at all. I need to be ready for the bus across the island to Apia. I need some internet access and to make some return flight arrangements.

This bus was one crazy experience, the early morning bus also act as the school bus and since it was raining this morning the bus was jam-packed with people and kids trying to avoid the rain. It's really difficult to explain the "bus" experience, but I'll try to paint a mental picture of the bus....

Think about the bus as a decommissioned flat bed truck, the interior, roof, seats and everything has been handmade from wood. The interior have small wooden benches bolted to the floor and looks much more like a chicken coop than a bus.
So when I got on the bus was so full that I was not sure whether I'm going to fit, let alone the 12-17 students waiting on the side of the road with me. We all rammed in there. I'm lucky that some guy took pity on me and elbowed a small kid off the bench next to him so that I can sit there. At this point the bus is loaded with about 70 people some sitting, some standing and plenty sitting on each other's laps. One would think the bus is full, but no... every now and then it will stop and more and more people will squash in. Everyone just sitting on everyone else and all you see is just heads...

Some buses in Apia... you get the idea...




The bus eventually stopped at the schools and a lot of passengers and students got off, it was really funny because at this point the buss would have well over 100 people onboard, and as people are exiting the buss it seems like it is a never ending stream of people getting out of the bus.... almost like it's a funny Youtube video and an optical illusion ... but there's no illusions here... the amount of people now getting off is just staggering.

The man I was sharing my bench with also hopped off and I moved to the position against the window. It's still a long distance to go to Apia and the buss will fill again very shortly... but this time I want to be next to an open window.

As we were making way and the bus filling I knew that before long I'll have someone next to me and in time people sitting on us... It seems that I got lucky though. On the next stop a giant Samoan man mountain and a real building size man sat next to me. He took nearly the whole bench and I was squashed against the window, it was lucky despite my squashed position... This man mountain was so large he blocked the entire entrance to our bench, haha, so no-one could get past him to sit on me :-D

I made it safely to Apia after just over two hours on the bus I did not freeze in a panic and did not vomit, however I was all sweaty and my bum was sore from the combination of  the hard bench and bumpy roads, (but bit less sore than when it was cycling up the mountain that day :-)

I think I was actually happy to get out of the bus, even if you're stepping off it right next to the Apia fish market..
Apia morning fish market

Will I take the bus again? Mmm, I guess I might if I really have too.

No comments:

Post a Comment