Sunday, September 29, 2013

Back in Samoa.

18/09/2013



My flight back to Samoa was considerably less stressful, delayed a little but all good (we even got given complimentary airline refreshment vouchers due tot he delay), In One onboard, I initially was even so lucky as to have an open seat next to me.
However, not long after I got comfortable, a hostess moved a young man into the seat next to me. The young man was very talkative and well mannered, but by his looks he looked like a South Auckland Tagger, looking for his next fence or letterbox, so initially I was rather sceptical talking too much to the man.

After a little while we started taking and I learnt that his name was Nigel and that he is in fact a New Zealand born Samoan, that grew up in Samoa up to the age of 10, then stayed in NZ for the last 11 year. He was going back to Samoa to visit his elderly grandmother, and he seemed very scared about the whole trip back. When I asked him why he was feeling anxious about the trip, he replied with a laugh "I've not been back in 11 years and have been living off government support"
 -He's got only a one way ticket and no money for a ticket back, and he's going to Samoa where he'll have to work for his food.. for the first time.

During the flight Nigel proved to be very good company, and certainly made the flight feel like a real short one, I'm sure I'll meet him again ... some time... somewhere in Apia.


When I landed in Samoa I was very happy to find Saya at the airport =)

I was finally "back" and on the way to Sanaapu Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment